Sunday, October 30, 2011

Guided Reading

This week I "Using centers to engage children during guided reading time: Intensifying learning experiences away from the teacher." While this article did not focus primarily on guided reading lessons, it did speak of the importance of strong centers for children to visit while others are visiting the teacher at the guided reading rotation. Ford and Optiz believe that, "the power of the instruction that takes place away from the teacher must rival the power of the instruction that takes place with the teacher." (p. 710) This means that teachers should strive to have meaningful centers that are not cut-and-paste activities or worksheets. The centers they suggested set the children up to be successful, independent workers in centers that would "give them the opportunity to warm up before, review after, or extend beyond a guided reading session." (p. 714) This article helped me to see that while guided reading time with the teacher is essential, utilizing all time away from the teacher is also key in helping young readers. As teachers we must know our students, their reading and writing abilities, and their degree of independence so that we can create appropriate centers to help them become independent readers which according to the article is the ultimate goal of guided reading.

At the school I spend time at weekly, I see a lot of worksheets and cut-and-paste activities in their reading rotation centers. Have you seen the same, or have you experienced meaningful centers in schools?

http://www.learner.org/workshops/readingk2/support/ReadingTeacher.1.pdf

5 comments:

  1. I think you bring up a great point! I was also wondering while I was reading my article what the other groups were doing while the teacher was sitting in with a particular group. Even though they might tell all of the groups to stay focused and work on their own reading, in reality the children most likely get distracted and do not do their work. I think it is a great idea to come up with these centers that keep the children focused and busy, AND are beneficial at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My article that I read focused on this same topic. I personally have seen the same thing as you have in the classrooms that I have been in. I think it is important to have centers that reinforce the skills that students are learning in their guided reading lessons instead of just mindless busy-work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guided article reading I chose, brought up similar points as yours. I think it is important for teachers to create centers that are engaging for the children. Through the various centers the children should have the opportunity to interact with their peers while also developing the skills necessary to be great readers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Centers are great! Not all teachers have a teaching assistant or a parent volunteer that can help keep their class under control. I think centers are a great alternative to allowing children to play on their own, almost like free time. I feel like most of the centers suggested are fun and would make the children THINK they are just playing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your article was incredibly enlightening. Most of the centers that I see are similar to the ones you described with worksheets and cut and paste items. These centers are not as beneficial as they could be for the students.

    ReplyDelete