Monday, September 19, 2011

Are We Qualified to Support Literacy Development?

        As I was reading the IRA/NAEYC position statement, I found it very interesting that there are no uniform licensure standards for teachers of young children. The article even stated that, "A high school diploma is the highest level of education required to be a child care teacher in most states." (NAEYC, p. 2) I would like to think that since 1998 when this position statement was adopted, standards have become more vigorous. As a pre-teacher in the CFS department at UT, I have already learned so much about the way that children develop and how they begin to read. It is my hope that I am learning the same things as other pre-teachers at UT, in this state, and across the country. I completely agree with the position statement that "A comprehensive, consistent system of early childhood professional preparation and ongoing professional development" is needed. (NAEYC, p. 10) I believe that every child deserves the best from their education, and having qualified and informed teachers and teachers aides is the way to achieve this.
         I know that we take the Praxis here in Tennesse before we can get our teachers license, but while looking around on the Praxis website I saw that some states require teachers to take that test and others require other tests. If all teachers are not tested on the same materials and theories, how can we guarantee that every teacher will have the best knowledge base for teaching literacy to young children?

5 comments:

  1. Really interesting questions, Juli. This sounds like a debate we should engage in in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great question about the praxis exams requirements regarding teacher licensing. In my opinion all teachers should have the same requirements such as completing the praxis so that we can guarantee that each teacher has the foundation he or she needs to successfully teach literacy to their students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was shocked by the requirements to teach early childhood education! I do not understand how a high school diploma is enough for this type of teacher- especially when so much of what we read about stresses the importance of building a literacy foundation at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great question to ask Juli! I completely agree with you. I found that statement about having a high school diploma as the highest level of education needed to be a childcare teacher in most states to be shocking. I agree that we should all have the same requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This statement made in the position statement really grabbed by attention as well. Teaching all ages of children should have some sort of requirement greater than a high school diploma. The article made me feel that the individuals would maybe not be the primary educator, but more of an assistant. This I would feel more comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete