Monday, September 26, 2011

Interest Affects Reading

Would you want to spend time reading something that you didn't find the least bit interesting? I know I wouldn't! While reading Deeney's article on fluency measures, I really honed in on the point she made about interesting text. Teacher's recomend books to children all the time, but if it doesn't interest the child they will not want to or enjoy reading it. Deeney says that, "For struggling readers, that something [that interests them] is often factual information. That means it is so important for classroom libraries to be filled with all types of books, not just fictional stories. "Having a variety of accessible texts (books, magazines, brochures, Internet), in terms of redability as well as availability, is critical for engaging students in reading.

Here are some examples of classroom libraries where teachers could provide different types of reading materials, separated out for easy access.







As adults, we choose to read things that we find interesting, so why don't we give children that same option?

4 comments:

  1. I think you are exactly right. Children need to be introduced to a large variety of books so that they are able to find ones that are interesting to them and will keep them engaged. Its important for teachers to encourage their students to search for books that will be exciting and enjoyable so that reading will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your post! I think kids need to have some interest in what they are reading in order for the book to hold their attention and make the student WANT to read :) Finding the passion to want to read can only help fluency :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I think that it's really important to provide children with a variety of different materials that they can read. Giving children the freedom of choice is especially important because that plays a huge roll in the enjoyment of reading. I also like your pictures, this give me some ideas that I could use in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. That is all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete